Disney's Lightning Lanes began operating on October 19, 2021, at Walt Disney World in Florida and on December 8, 2021, at Disneyland in California. This system offers ways to pay to access a shorter queue for most attractions. The following pages provide overviews of Lightning Lane:
As always, we are collecting data and learning how Lightning Lane access via Genie+ and individual purchases function. We also are collecting wait time and return time data so that we better understand how much time might be saved by paying to access Lightning Lanes.
Our initial observations are shared in several Genie+ posts on our blog. During the first week that Lightning Lanes were operating, we also published several live debriefs of our in-park testing on YouTube.
We have also:
- Added the ability to input your Lightning Lane return times for Personalized Touring Plans in our Lines app for Walt Disney World, allowing you to optimize around those return times. (Released for iOS on November 13, 2022. Released for Android on December 13, 2022.)
(See our Step-By-Step Guide: Make and Use a Touring Plan in the Lines App (Including Lightning Lane) article for details.)
- Added the ability to input Lightning Lane return times (either ones you've obtained, or your best guesses) for Personalized Touring Plans on our website for Walt Disney World and Disneyland, allowing you to optimize around those return times.
(See our Step-By-Step Guide: Make and Use a Touring Plan On the Web (Including Lightning Lane) article for details.)
- Added the ability (in December 2022) to use forecasted Genie+ return times in Personalized Touring Plans, providing recommendations about when to make various Lighting Lane selections. This can help you determine how much time Lightning Lane purchases would save you.
In the future, we expect to offer:
- Premium Touring Plans that make use of Genie+. (Our Premium Touring Plans depend on our Personalized Touring Plan software, so the software changes will come first.)
- Data-based general recommendations about scenarios where purchasing Genie+ and/or individual Lightning Lane access will save you the most time.
- An updated Disneyland Lines app to support new features. (2023?)